Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAugust


Reel Big Fish, "Beer" from Turn the Radio Off (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: It as clear fairly early on that heartbreak was the norm in ska-punk, that romance rarely had a happy ending. A paraphrase of Rob's question from High Fidelity has long seemed appropriate: Am I cynical about romance because I listen to ska music of do I listen to ska music because I'm cynical about romance?
"She called me late last night
To say she loved me so,
But I guess you changed her mind.
Well, I should have known it wouldn't be alright,
But I can't live without her,
So I won't even try.

"And if I get drunk, well, I'll pass out on the floor now, baby,
You won't bother me no more,
And if you're drinking, well, you know that you're my friend and I'll say,
I guess I'll have myself a beer!

"Maybe someday I'll think of what to say,
Maybe next time I'll remember what to do,
She looks like heaven, maybe this is hell…"

No comments: