Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Songs o' the Day: SKAugust


Reel Big Fish, "The '90s" (live) from Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album, Disc 2: Move Fastly With the Fast Music (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: "The '90s" isn't a song, but a track of on-stage banter, apropos to SKAugust's purpose in its discourse on the 1990s. Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album was recorded & released in 2006, a solid decade after the release of "Sell Out" & nine years after the Summer of Ska. The main dialogue is 'twixt frontman, singer, & guitarist Aaron Barrett & trumpeter & backing singer Scott Klopfenstein.
Barret: "We can't play 'Sell Out' 'til the end, it's our big hit. Shut up! O.K."

Klopfenstein: "Ladies and gentlemen—"

Barrett: "Wait. God damn it! Don't yell at me! You know who I used to be, ten years ago? During the Summer of Ska?"

Johnny Christmas: "That was the Nineties."

Barrett: "I had a moderately successful single. Don't yell at me! I wrote this song in the Nineties."

Klopfenstein: "You did, actually."

Barrett: "'Cause I was in a Nineties kind of mood."

Klopfenstein: "Yeah, I was there. It happened."

Barrett: "Remember that?"

Klopfenstein: "I do."

Barrett: "The Nineties. Those were different times, ladies and gentlemen."

Klopfenstein: "Those were totally different times, ladies and gentlemen!"

Barrett: "Hard, hard times!"

Klopfenstein: "Not everybody had a cell phone, we had these little things called pagers."

Barrett: "And it seemed like every other week a girl was leaving me for another girl."

Klopfenstein: "It's true! He'd always get paged—"

Barrett: "Now, that's kind of hot! That's kind of hot! But, you know, huh. Where does it leave me? Where do I fit in? I mean, I can imagine where I'd fit in, but, you know."

Klopfenstein: "Ladies and gentlemen, you may not realize it, but this men to my left, right—"

Barrett: "Stage right."

Klopfenstein "Stage right, is a very trouble individual. He's got a lot of inner pain, a lot of anguish, a lot of woe."

Barrett: "It's not easy being a child star!"

Unknown: "Whoaaaa!"

Barrett: *exaggerated stage weeping*

Klopfenstein: "Ladies and gentlemen, the one thing we in the Reel Big Fish realize is that we can make a hell of a lot of money off of pain."

Johnny Christmas: "Yeah!"

Klopfenstein: "We can also make a slightly humorous song out of mediocre pain."

Barrett: "And sex between two ladies."

Klopfenstein: "It's true! So, ladies and gentlemen, we'd like you for about, uh, three and a half minutes to sit back and enjoy the ride, 'cause this song is an emotional roller coaster of sexual tension and exploration."

Reel Big Fish, "She Has a Girlfriend Now" (live) from Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album, Disc 2: Move Fastly With the Fast Music (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: Picking up directly from "The '90s":
Barrett: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a song about a girl who left me for another girl, and it can happen to you, too, if you follow your dreams."

Klopfenstein: "Don't quit believing!"

No comments: