Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Irish Song o' the Day


The Pogues, "Sally MacLennane" from The Very Best of the Pogues (The Last Angry Irishman)

O'Commentary:
"But Jimmy didn't like his place in this world of ours,
Where the elephant man broke strong men's necks when he had too many pours,
So sad to see the grieving of the people that I'm leaving,
And he took the road for God knows in the morning.

"We walked him to the station in the rain,
We kissed him as we put him on the train,
And we sang him a song of times long time,
Though we knew that we'd be seeing him again…

"The years went by, the times had changed, I grew to be a man,
I learned to love the virtues of sweet Sally MacLennane,
I took the jeers & drank the beers & crawled back home at dawn,
And ended up a barman in the morning.

"I played the pump & took the hump & watered whiskey down
I talked of whores & horses to the men who drank the brown
I heard them say that Jimmy's making money far away
And some people left for heaven without warning…"

No comments: