Friday, May 10, 2019

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKApril


The English Beat, "Whine & Grine/Stand Down Margaret" from I Just Can't Stop It (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: I take no small satisfaction in listening to British ska & punk from the late 1970s & early '80s, noting both the panicked, nigh apocalyptic attitude toward then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher & how utterly wrong subsequent events proved those attitudes to be. I say again today, as I have said before & I will surely say again, Never Trump, but that doesn't mean I've suddenly come to agree with all the just plain wrongheaded left-wing politics in some of the music I like.

Also, in the U.K., The English Beat is known simply as The Beat (& in Australia as "The British Beat"); the best thing about "Whine & Grine/Stand Down Margaret" is not the lyrics, but that 2-Tone beat that makes my heart skank.


No comments: