Monday, September 16, 2019

The Rebel Black Dot The Aquabats! Song o' the Day!


The Aquabats!, "Hi-Five City!" from Charge!! Special One Year Anniversary Edition (Captain Thumbs Up!)

Commentary:
"Well, now you're on the inside,
Now you're one of us,
Now you're on the inside
Of downtown Hi-Five City tonight!…"
Project MERCATOR
On Friday, my fellow Aqua-Cadet, Alphaman, & I, Captain Thumbs Up, took his children to their first rock concert, The Aquabats! @ the Majestic Theatre in Detroit. The kids needed Aqua-Cadet code names, of course, & named themselves Ninjablade Dragontooth & Cupcake Bat. Ninjablade & Cupcake Bat were unfamiliar with the traditions & etiquette of a rock show, but they quickly adapted & seemed to enjoy themselves thoroughly. At the end of the encore, per tradition, The Aquabats! invited all the children in the audience (a great many, especially since many old-school Aqua-Cadets like Alphaman now bring their own children) up onto the stage. Alphaman & I could hardly seem them amidst all the other costumed children, but both Cupcake Bat & Ninjablade high-fived all five current Aquabats: The M.C. Bat Commander, Jimmy the Robot, Crash McLarson, EagleBones Falconhawk (after whom Ninjablade patterned his own code name), & Ricky Fitness.

After the show, a beautiful girl around twenty years-old wearing fascinatingly-patterned green eyeliner approached me & told me that a dozen years hence, she'd seen me in concert & had not accepted the invitation to go up on stage with the rest of the children, & that she regretted that decision. She evidently thought I was Crash McLarson, who like your humble narrator is extravagantly bewhiskered. I apologized for the confusion & gently explained to her that I'm not an Aquabat, I'm not Crash, merely an Aqua-Cadet. Alphaman had seen her coming & surmised her intent; he later apologized to me for not sounding a warning, but 'twas unnecessary from my point of view. I just felt bad for the poor girl.

In the lobby on the way out, I ran into Farr Afield, late of The Loose Ties. Catching up, I related the incident with the girl who thought I was Crash & Farr Afield proffered that I might have lied to spare the girl's feelings. I replied that I simply couldn't lie. She replied, "That's very moral."

No comments: