Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Oh, oh no, somebody's going to find out I have a blog! Dear Lord in Heaven, no!

Hello, my name is Michael Patrick Wilson. If you are a potential employer and you found this site as a result of a websearch for my full name, congratulations. Now, the question is, do you have the right Michael Patrick Wilson? I guarantee there are quite a number of us in the Anglophonic countries. Let us assume for the time being that you have found the weblog of the right Michael Patrick Wilson and that I am, in fact, trying to gain employment with your firm/governmental agency/what have you. What can you learn about me that would impact upon my job performance?

I have a weblog; my closest friends and I operate under the name Blue Tree Whacking; I like Star Trek and Star Wars, very possibly too much; I know that when making a list with internal commas, semi-colons should be used to separate items; I was? still am? in love with a girl named Lindsay, whom I have recently begun referring to as Never Girl; I watch a lot of TV; highlights of the new season include I'm With Her and 10-8, and yes, I have always been partial to ABC; I like the books of Alistair MacLean, a claim I make having only read two of his many books, Ice Station Zebra and H.M.S. Ulysses; I am currently reading The Myth of the Great War, a work of non-fiction; my brother is the most important person in my world.

Through the Summer and continuing into this Fall I have been putting on weight. I am not pleased about this, but I have not yet taken the steps necessary to stem, much less reverse, the tide. I have a tattoo, a black skull-and-crossbones on my left forearm; if you don't want to hire me because of that, fair enough.

I do not understand why people hide. At first, I used nicknames only because they were cool, but now I use them because I've been told a number of people wish to preserve their anonymity. Several of these people, in fact the only two individuals to ever request that their names not be used, keep weblogs of their own. As the point was once made to me, posting information on something called the world wide web is a curious way of lying low.

As I type this, I am listening to The Eyeliners, "It Could Have Been You" from Sealed With a Kiss.

No comments: