Sunday, July 2, 2006

Memory is a tricky thing. For years, I could never remember the name of Clytemnestra's lover, yet each time I'd look it up I'd smack myself on the forehead and exclaim, "Aegisthus! Of course!" I knew that, I really did, I just could never recall the name Aegisthus on command. (How often did this come up? More often than you'd think. I find my thoughts dwelling on the House of Atreus and its affiliates with some regularity.) Then one day, I IMed my habitual question to Skeeter, "Who was Clytemnestra's lover?," and she wrote back immediately, "Aegisthus." Since then, the name is stuck and I am now able to readily recall Aegisthus. I knew Aegisthus before, I simply had difficulty accessing that nugget of information. How was Skeeter's response able to break down that barrier? I have no idea. Like I said, memory is a trickerous thing.

No Oracles at Delphi
I had my 15 Day Evaluation at Delphi on Friday. I wasn't evaluated after fifteen days on the job (that would make too much sense), but fifteen calender days, including weekends, from the date I was hired. Anywho, my supervisor, Denny (a salaried), checked all the "Satisfactory" boxes and utilized only two of the remarks sections, both times writing, "Quick learner! Good mechanical attitude!" In most instances, people are said to possess good mechanical aptitude, but I guess at Delphi attitude is everything.

What does that mean, though, good mechanical attitude? Do I have a robotic demeaner? Am I a machine? You guys would tell me if I was a clockwork man, robot, droid, cyborg, Replicant, android, Terminator, or any other kind of mechanical contrivance, right? Right?

I should have business cards made: "Michael P. Wilson - Freelance Antikythera Mechanism."

No comments: