Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Queue

I've had a devil of a time committing to any reading of late. Leviathan was shelved some time ago due to the density of the text & the weightiness of the ideas therein; at the time, other pressing issues demanded unfettered access to my critical reasoning skills. The Evils of Revolution was abandoned for similar those more trifling reasons, & I just found myself unable to summon the will to continue with Theology for Beginners—thus, the new "Lately Neglected" category. Given all this, please take "Presently" with a grain of salt. I intend one course, but walking that path is proving difficult. I do not know what is wrong with me, why I am so unable to focus.

I was able to plow through the backlog of Road & Track & National Review magazines, & I'm catching up on Car and Driver; so, at least I'm keeping up with my light reading.

Recently
Washington Irving, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" & "Rip Van Winkle"
Ross Douthat, Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics
Matthew Kelly, The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic: How Engaging 1% of Catholics Could Change the World

Currently
Mark Mazzetti, The Way of the Knife: The C.I.A., a Secret Army, and a War at the Ends of the Earth

Presently
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Swords of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Synthetic Men of Mars
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Llana of Gathol
Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars
Richard Price, Clockers
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, "Sinbad the Sailor" from The Arabian Nights

Lately Neglected
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme, & Power of a Common-wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civill
Edmund Burke, The Evils of Revolution
F. J. Sheed, Theology for Beginners

No comments: