Friday, January 10, 2014

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Elvis Costello & the Attractions, "Oliver's Army" from Armed Forces (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "And I would rather be anywhere else than here today."

Donnerstag, 9 Jänner
Boris Karloff, Mario Rossi, & the Wiener Opernorchester, Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67: VI. "The Wolf" from Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf, Lieutenant Kijé Symphonic Suite (T.L.A.M)

Commentary: I do not pretend to remember half of what I once knew of German, & never was I expert at parsing the differences 'twixt German German & Austrian German, but since even I know that Wiener Opernorchester means, at least roughly, "Vienna Opera Orchestra," I've opted to use, perhaps inappropriately, the Austrian Jänner instead of the northern German Januar. Fear the umlaut!

Which of course reminds me of my favorite joke: For a German, what comes between fear & sex?
Fünf! (Fünf is the German word for "five." The German words for "four" & "six," vier & sechs, are pronounced quite similarly to the English words "fear" & "sex." Aren't jokes funnier once they've been laboriously explained? I suppose the joke only works if you mispronounce fünf to be more like the English word "fun"…)

"The Wolf" is all-purpose ominous, apropos for whenever an audience needs to be alerted that something dark & dangerous is about.

No comments: