Friday, January 31, 2014

The Queue

I wrote fairly recently that the "Presently" queue should be taken with a grain of salt. This remaisn sage advice, but my sense is that the ship has been righted by geopolitical/historical non-fiction. So, I've decided to tempt fate by adding two books to the top of the queue. I've wanted to read Liberal Fascism since its publication, as I enjoy Jonah Goldberg's writing in National Review. The time is now in light of some truly frightening developments on the Left, including Governor Cuomo of New York's indefensible remarks about whom is & is not welcome to set foot in the Empire State. (Lest you accuse me of being in a right-wing echo chamber, recall that I most recently finished Mark Mazzetti's The Way of the Knife, a decidedly left-wing/quasi pacifist account of the War on Terror.) The Golem and the Jinni is a exploratory jaunt back into fiction; I've wanted to read the book since my mother brought it home from the library; the title at least leads me to think it might be useful fodder for Project PARAFFIN.

Currently
Christian Caryl, Strange Rebels: 1979 and the Birth of the 21st Century

Presently
Jonah Goldberg, Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning
Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Jinni

No comments: