Thursday, January 23, 2014

Urbi et Orbi | Autobahn

I keep a prayer card in the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile, with an image of Saint Christopher on one side & a prayer on the other; I say the prayer during each morning's first drive of the day.
Grant me, O Lord, a steady hand & a watchful eye,
That no one shall be hurt as I pass by.
Thou gavest life, I pray no act of mine
May take away or mar that gift of Thine.
Shelter those, dear Lord, who bear me company,
From the evils of fire & all calamity.
Teach me to use my car for others' need,
Nor miss through love of undue speed
The beauty of your world that thus I may
With joy & courtesy go on my way.
Saint Christopher, holy patron of travelers,
Protect me & guide me safely to my destiny.
Yesterday, the Lord answered my prayer to use my car for another's need, as when I had parked the Lumi & was stepping out, a chap approached me & asked if I might use the Lumi to jump start his motorcar. As his automobile was parked in such a way that it would do no good to bring my automobile to his, we pushed his no-long self-propelled carriage over to the Lumi. A '95 Lumina's battery is difficult to access, buried under a fluid reservoir & next to an air tube, & I failed to attach the clamps of his jumper cables to the terminals on the Lumi's battery; I was able to attach my own jumper cables, & in no time at all his motorcar was up & running, ready to head back out into the teeth of the ongoing snowstorm. I recount this tale not for my glory, but for His. The Lord answered my prayer to be of service to others, & may well have used me as His means to answer the stranded motorist's prayer for help.

In other automotive news, the best vanity plate spied recently was on a jeep, with a plate reading MONSTER. Technically, the plate read ONSTER, with the M being the block-M of the University of Michigan, the license plate being one of the booster plates offered by the Secretary of State. I'd roll my eyes at MONSTER, except that rather unexpectedly there were no decals or other decorations indicating any connection to the ubiquitous marketing of the Monster Energy Drink. So, yeah, O.K., I'm on board with MONSTER.

No comments: