Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day


John Linnell, "Maine" from State Songs, Vol. 1 (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: Soon & very soon, I will once again have kin in the State of Maine. I've not been to the Pine Tree State in the twenty-first century, as by the turn o the millennium my paternal grandparents' health had forced them to forsake the cabin on a lake in rural Maine where they'd summered in their retirement. I'm looking forward to visiting my kin in Maine.
"Relaxing on my hands and knees, relaxing on my face,
Reclining in the bear trap of its render, warm embrace,
Blessed with coniferous green,
Blessed with excitement & dread,
Exhausted from oversleep,
Awake but still in bed.

"Shaving razor's rusty,
But the sting brings you exactly back to—

"Maine! is the world that went south,
Maine! is a punch in the mouth,
Maine! at the top of the chart
Has crushed my evil heart.

"Maine! is the devil you know,
Maine! is the heaven below,
Maine! at the top of the chart
Has crushed my evil heart…

"And give me back my evil heart
So I can see you as you aren't…

"Maine! is the poison you love,
Maine! is the hell from above,
Maine! at the top of the chart
Has crushed my evil heart."

No comments: