Monday, August 23, 2021

24 Heures du Mans | +24:00:00

Le Mans! Le Mans! Le Mans!

I was so happy to throw myself once again headlong into the glorious madness of the 24 Hours of Le Mans! The entirety of the race was broadcast on the Motor Trend channel, carrying the Eurosport feed, replete with American commercials. I do not find the Eursport commentators particularly engaging nor informative, especially not compared to the Speed channel crews from when I started watching Le Mans in 2009. (Speed's old F1 crew of Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, & Steve Matchett are the undisputed gold standard of motor racing commentators, & they ruined me for everyone else.) In years past, I would watch the Eurosport television broadcast with the sound muted & watch the Radio Le Mans "Studio Vision" show on YouTube for their commentary; this year, I watched the Eurosport television broadcast with the sound muted & listened to Radio Le Mans via the TuneIn app on my mobile. "Studio Vision" was just a camera placed in their commentary booth showing the Radio Le Mans team (they don't have the rights to televise the race); so, there was precious little difference to listening via TuneIn. I thought that arrangement worked out quite well.

I'm always chagrined by my lack of commentary in the hours immediately after the grand prix of endurance & efficiency, but by that point I've been awake for more than twenty-four hours & my brain is sluggish. This year, I had to prepare for church in the closing minutes of the race & head out as soon as it was over. I set up for Mass & read, then attended my weekly Exodus 90 fraternity meeting. It was nearly three o'clock by the time I returned home. I was shortly thereafter in bed & slept until this morning, only waking up for an hour or so around midnight. I ought to be back on my normal sleep schedule by tonight/tomorrow morning.

No comments: