Tuesday, July 8, 2003

Wilson
Priscilla Gray Wilson, my Grandma Wilson, died on Friday. We were digging around the sump pump at the time the news reached us and couldn't very well stop; work continued Saturday and Sunday until it was done. Some of you may remember her as the grandmother who was born in Imperial India, to an English governess and an American dentist. My Great-Granny Gray, may she rest in peace, was my closest foreign-born relative. Grandma Wilson was English enough that her four children forever called her Mum rather than Mom.

I'm not sure how my dad's taking it. He's not as angry and hostile as when Grandpa Wilson died in 1999, but I can't be certain as to whether that is a good or bad sign. Regarding Grandma, my regrets are legion; I should have gone down to Texas and spent a week with her. I wouldn't have enjoyed a minute of it, but I should have done it anyway. Damn me for leaving an old woman to die alone.

She's to be cremated; so, Dad and Aunt Meg have yet to decide what, if any, ceremony we will have in Austin. A gathering of Wilsons; angels and saints preserve us.

RETROACTIVELY MAKING STAR TREK: VOYAGER GOOD, Interlude
Before her death in season three's "The Joining," Lt. (j.g.) Tari Prix had been romantically involved with Lt. (j.g) Daniel Kim (on Odyssey, people get promoted, dammit). After the "birth" of Seventh Prix, Dan finds it impossible to feel for her as he had for Tari, but the two of them remain close friends. (Note: the same actress who played Tari Prix will, under the mask of a Praelor robot, play Seventh Prix, or at least provide the voice.)

No comments: