Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Champions
Recent or most recent championships for the teams of Detroit, in chronological order.
Detroit Red Wings - 1997, 1998, 2002
Detroit Pistons - 1989, 1990 ...2004?
Detroit Tigers - 1984
Detroit Lions - 1957 ...ouch

A lot of fair weather fans have of late been cheering for the Pistons. Where were the people saying "Go 'Tons" (a truly stupid expression, by and by) during the Grant Hill/teal uniforms/Doug Collins era? Personally, I hope the Pistons do triumph over the Lakers tonight, because, as I have said, it would be good for Detroit, and the city needs all the help she can get. But, I have been so critical of the NBA for so many years that it would be the height of hypocricy to embrace the league now that "my team" is doing well. The Lakers are the New York Yankees - the "evil empire" - of the NBA; so, it is always good to see them lose. The Pistons play a quality brand of ball, one based on teamwork, not the individulaism that has ruined the NBA in the past few decades. It would be good on many levels for the Pistons to defeat Los Angeles tonight. But for me the most important one is that Detroit, that proud old lady, could use the help; much as I pray for the demise of baseball, in the same situation I would be rooting for the Tigers to win the World Series.

Fury
Now is the perfect time to put into practice those wonderful words of John Dryden, "Beware the fury of a patient man."

I have just received word from the fine folks at Amazon.com that my Invader ZIM and Futurama DVDs have shipped, an entire week earlier than they had estimated. Excellent... excellent.

"Do you understand, GIR?"
"I reeeaaally don't."

Crap
Ryan Adams

H-A-D
Half a day.

No comments: