Saturday, June 26, 2004

Publius Cornelius Scipio Winter
or
Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Winter
?

Jolly Nihilism
So, I finished Diary. I need to reread it again, because I hated it when I started it. I thought the beginning was incredibly dull, but as it went along I loved it, as I do all of Mr. Palahniuk's novels. Hmmm, while I'm thinking about it, maybe I should go back and reread Survivor, Invisible Monsters, and Choke, too.

Fight Club
Survivor
Invisible Monsters
Choke
Lullaby
Diary


Eternal City (provisional)
Among the ranks of SPQR, The Cloak's global legion of apprentices, is a young man (mid-20s) named Jack Robson. Young Jack lives in Imperium, England, UK (London), and operates in concert with The Erinys, The Alienist, and The Aegis; up the road in Lydonham (Birmingham) are SPQR agents The Torch, The Phalanx, and The Mace. Jack possesses the superpower of super speed: he can run really quite ridiculously fast. The problem I am having is with Jack's alter ego; at present, he is called Mercury, after the fleet god of Roman mythology. Mercury is a fine name for a mystery man, the problem is that Jack is a member of SPQR and all the other members have names that begin with "The" (The Cloak, The Gargoyle, The Proxy, et alii). I would really like to carry this naming pattern through to Jack, but cannot think of a suitable name. I already have speedsters called The Blur (Frank Wu, a hero), The Cheetah (Jenni Nelson, a hero), and The Streak (Ray Caliban, a villain) and have found it nearly impossible to come up with a fourth. I could use another animal name such as The Gazelle or The Impala, but neither seems quite right. The only name I like is The Swift, but of course there is already a character named Swift over in WildStorm comics (plus, a swift is a type of bird and Jack cannot fly). I may simply have to resign myself to leaving Jack as the black sheep of SPQR, leaving him as Mercury. There are, of course, far worse fates.

Also, another of Jack's comrades in SPQR is a young lady (late teens) named Matsumoto Hitomi, whose body is composed entirely of mercury. She possesses the ability to alter her form at will, thus allowing pure mercury to retain a humanoid shape. At present, her nom de guerre is The Enigma. (I am tempted to call her The Quicksilver, and to blazes with the X-Men/Avenger Quicksilver. His name, being a speedster, is a terrible pun anyway.)

Crap
Linkin Park

H-A-D
Have a slow day.

No comments: