Friday, February 15, 2008

The Stars My Destination
My friends, truly we live in a time of wonders that beggar credulity: spacewalklink. Hurtling through the pitiless vacuum of at breakneck speeds, a scant few fragile millimeters of module hull separating those inside from certain death, and yet under these conditions astronaut-scientists will relentlessly advance the frontiers of science, potentially producing Earth-shattering findings. Age of wonders.

"This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure, rich living, and hard dying... but nobody thought so. This was a future of fortune and theft, pillage and rapine, culture and vice... but nobody admitted it. This was an age of extremes, a fascinating century of freaks... but nobody loved it."
--Alfred Bester, The Stars My Destination, A.D. 1956

Science!

Ricky Fitness
A toss up over which is the best T-shirt I saw at the gym today: "Swedes Are Bjorn to Rock," and the Nordic looking dude's short were properly color-coordinated, with blue and yellow stripes, or "Nice and Sleazy," a description that fit the wearer to a T. (Anyone know the etymology of that peculiar phrase, "to a T"?) I'm leaning toward "Swedes Are Bjorn to Rock."

Also, all four treadmills were occupied when I arrived, leaving me little recourse but to lift before running. I detest lifting first! Doing so leaves me befuddled and mildly but persistently irked. Drat!

And thanks to tonight's season finale of Psych, I learned the word "abulic." Thumbs up for vocabulary expansion. Rest assured I will find an obvious and entirely artificial way to work abulic into either conversation or, if you're lucky, a post here at The Secret Base.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Slow Gherkin, "I Only Smoke When I'm Drunk" from Shed Some Skin (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: