Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who Used To Own It?
I have not devised a system for scoring because I view Who Used To Own It? not so much as a competitive game but as an edifying diversion. The game is very simple: one hundred years hence, very nearly the whole of Africa was claimed by the European powers. The quizmaster poses the name of a contemporary African nation-state and the contestant names the colonial suzerain. An example:

Query: South Africa

Answer: Great Britain

And as always here at The Secret Base, we rely on the honor system; this is a test of your knowledge and well-roundedness, not your acumen in utilizing internet search engines. Ready?

Beginner
1) Algeria

2) Libya

3) Egypt

Intermediate
4) Kenya

5) The Sudan

6) D.R. Congo (formerly Zaire)

Tricky
7) Guinea

8) Equatorial Guinea

9) Guinea-Bissau

Advanced
10) Cameroon

11) Mozambique

12) Zambia

Good luck!

Project OSPREY
Louisville 90-85 Notre Dame - My thought was to make the night a double-header, and I wish I had seen more of this game, but 'twas not to be. I missed the early going during the nightly broadcast of Jeopardy!, after which I listened while washing the dishes, but with a firm intention of watching the Michigan State-Wisconsin game at nine o'clock, I decided instead to forgo the Big East showdown and see what was doing on ye olde internet. I saw only scattered moments of the contest, but I find myself pleased any time Notre Dame loses. Woot!

Wisconsin 57-42 Michigan State - I was feeling a tad continental this evening; so, as I engaged in an otherwise all-American evening of watching two solidly Midwestern clubs meet in basketball with my kitty perched on my lap, I sipped my Dutch beer (Heineken) and nibbled my Swiss dark chocolate (Toblerone). Dutch booze, Swiss food, and as a monoglot I speak only English; raise a glass for the Germanic-speaking peoples. Prost!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Dubliners, "Seven Drunken Nights" via iTunes (The Guy)

Commentary: Nominate a song and you too can achieve the same degree of parenthetical fame as The Guy!

No comments: