Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek
At Ki-El's and Dylweed's request, I am going to write a full review of J. J. Abrams's Star Trek. I am going to, as in, I have not yet. It is no exaggeration to say that Star Trek (meaning the franchise that spanned five television series and ten motion pictures between 1966 and 2005) rivals Star Wars in my affection. And so I am not dragging my feet on the review, I am still ruminating upon everything I saw and heard last Saturday. I want to get this right, and to do that I need first to make sense of all I am thinking and feeling. Your patience with this process is greatly appreciated. I thank you.

Believe
Second intermission: Ducks 2-0 Red Wings.
Best of seven: Detroit 3-2 Anaheim.

Confidence! Babcock's a master strategist, he's just lulling the Ducks into a false sense of security. Mark my words, Game 7 shan't be necessary.

Believe, confound ye!

Holy Mother Church
A rather reactionary Catholic emailing list to which I belong is asking that I pray the Rosary this week for the University of Notre Dame, that the ship might be righted and orthodoxy restored. How quaint. If I pray anything for Notre Dame, 'twould surely be for the whole benighted place to burn to the ground.

Elsewhere in Catholicism, Popelink. It's funny how every story the B.B.C. runs about this trip mentions His Holiness's compulsory service in the Nazi war machine during the Second World War, events now seventy years past, yet very few of the pieces they run about Mahmoud Abbas mention his Holocaust denials of the 1980s, only twenty-five years ago. I am not one to argue in favor of relativism, each action should be judged on its own merits, but it is interesting how ready and willing they are to forgive decisions Abbas made in his late forties and early fifties, and yet so unwilling to forgive what the Pope was forced to do as a teenager. Of course, Catholics—as "Papists"—are the only religious group still officially discriminated against by Her Majesty's Government; so, even though nominally independent from H.M.G., I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that the B.B.C. still looks at events through Titus Oates's eyes.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Guster, "One Man Wreaking Machine" from Ganging Up On the Sun (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: