Saturday, February 6, 2010

Welcome to the future of The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society.

"I didn't sell out, son, I bought in."

Advantages: Detection of comments at-a-glance and, after an absence of several years, the archives of The Secret Base are returned. Hooray!

Disadvantages: The farther down you scroll, the more of your screen is devoted to a blank gray field. (Note that I did not cite my aversion to change, as I feel the advantages more than outweigh that. But this narrow column for the actual blog posts is a bother, and appears to be universal to the available templates. Rats.)

The Victors: Project OSPREY
(16) Wisconsin 62-44 Michigan
11-12, Big Ten 4-7

Why did the valiant Wolverines lose to the pesky Badgers? Myriad factors contributed to our thorough whipping, but I cite principally that we failed to play as a team. Wisconsin executed a strategy, every man filling his role to form a relentless, shot clock-consuming juggernaut; we, on the other hand, we played as a group of inept individuals. We hardly passed on offense, no one seemed interested in hustling to earn on open look, and those few shots that we taken we all dreadful misfires. We were awful. But I mean to take nothing away from the pesky Badgers; they we collaborating authors and architects of our awfulness, perfectly exploiting out all too obvious weaknesses. Today's contest was ugly from beginning to end, the only bright spot being the enthusiasm of the Crisler Arena crowd. Enthusiastic fans at the House that Cazzie Built? Surely the world has gone mad.

Go Blue!

Elsewhere in Project OSPREY…

Illinois 78-72 Michigan State (5)

From The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce, "Happiness, n. An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another."

The Queue
The Fatal Equilibrium is assigned reading, normally a disqualifying quality, but I've made an exception for two reasons: {a} it is a novel, after all, and {b} it gives me hope for the feasibility of ever having published a book I call alternately The Economics of Love or Love & Economics, with it's major internal divisions titled "The Dismal Science," "The Misery Index," & "The Tragedy of the Commons."

Recently
Nick Hornby, Slam
Charles Brooks, editor, Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year—2010 Edition & 2008 Edition
Agatha Christie, Crooked House

Currently
Marshall Jevons, The Fatal Equilibrium

Presently
P. G. Wodehouse, Mike at Wrykyn & Mike and Psmith
Agatha Christie, Passenger to Frankfurt
Agatha Christie, The Murder at the Vicarage

8 comments:

Mike Wilson said...

Test.

Mike Wilson said...

Okay, that makes sense, word verification is for everyone BUT me. Should have seen that coming. I hope it doesn't cause you any trouble, treasured readers.

Kevin said...

the narrow column is good for reading your site on my iPhone. That's about it though.

Mike Wilson said...

Cursed smart phones!

brenda cox giguere said...

Change is hard for me, but I'll try to be a good sport. It does have a nice, clean elegance on the screen.

Mike Wilson said...

The old template had become untenable, B. And consider the restoration of the much-missed archives; so, now you can go back and see what The Secret Base was like before that happy day when you stumbled in here on accident. Thank you for trying to be a good sport.

The Guy said...

That's my favorite quote from SLC Punk

Kevin said...

How is "SLC Punk" these days? I haven't seen it since high school. Does it hold up? I loaned my copy to my boss, who was a punk rocker in the 70's.