Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Magnificent Moustache Malarkey
Day 49: The most significant problem I am having at present is with that old bugbear of my asymmetrical mug, symmetry. You can already see the issue I am having in the now iconic Farcebook profile picture: the hairs at the left-most extremity of my moustache do not wish to curl as much as do those on the opposite extremity. The leftward hairs flair out along a more lateral line while their rightward counterparts curl up almost to the vertical. This imbalance manifests itself in both the waxed and natural states. Constant coaxing is required to maintain the desired uniform appearance.

Magnificent!

The most significant non-moustache asymmetries on my face are that my right eyebrow sits higher above my right eye than does the left eyebrow in relation to that eye and that my right earlobe is larger than its counterpart on the left. The tops of my ears appear to be symmetrical, but the right ear seems to hang down lower than the left. As a result, in order for my beloved sideburns to be symmetrical, they must be trimmed to different places in relation to their proximal ears; if the right sideburn is trimmed to line up with the bottom of the right earlobe, then the left sideburn must extend below the left earlobe. Vanity is such a bother, which may explain why I do not more often indulge in its exercise.

Moustache Hero
I would like to think that anyone who knows me well and had thought about it would have seen this week's choice coming. Tom Selleck would be a thoroughly laudable and admirable fellow even if his most famous character wasn't known for wearing a Detroit Tigers baseball cap and loving the film Stalag 17. He's a man's man in the best possible sense. Ladies and gentlemen, the moustache of Tom Selleck. Behold!



What confuses me about most about the Somali piracy imbroglio is that it is an imbroglio at all: submarinelink. The pirate is the original hostis humani generis, the enemy of all Mankind. Whomever encounters a pirate, if the cutthroat is not killed outright, should capture him, subject him to only the most cursory of trials, and execute him. Piece of cake, easy as pie. If we as a society cannot grasp the simple truth of these principles, then the 21st century will be most unkind to our culture.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Howwhywuz, Howwhyam" from Devil's Night Out (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"The years went past
So God-damned fast,
You know I've left a lot behind."

No comments: