Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Magnificent Moustache Malarkey
Day 54: Today, six months to the day since commencing the Banzai Beard Bonanza II: Bonsai's Revenge, I marched my moustache out into the the courtyard, allowed it to smoke one last cigarette while the firing squad mustered, tied a blindfold behind its head, and then raised my sword and ordered my men to fire. My moustache, itself a fan of the late actor Edward Woodward, uttered as its last words the last words attributed to "Breaker" Morant by the film Breaker Morant (with Woodward in the titular role): "Shoot straight, you bastards! Don't make a mess of it!" I like Breaker Morant very much, but I wish it hadn't said what it did, as I was trying to foster more of a Beau Geste/French Foreign Legion motif.

No bother. I am now clean-shaven, which after six months of the Bonanza & the Malarkey looks exceedingly peculiar. I certainly look younger, though at my age I wonder if that's not undesirable. Photographs are forthcoming, they shall be deposited at the drugstore first thing Monday.

Magnificent!

3 comments:

The Guy said...

Congratulations on what I hope history will find to have been a fantastic run of facial grooming.

Mike Wilson said...

Thank you, old friend.

Now is not the moment for taking any decisions, time will be necessary before I can have any kind of perspective, but at this instant I am seized by a powerful conviction that a man should have facial hair. I had no choice but to see the Bonanza-cum-Malarkey through to its conclusion, but I still cannot help but think I have done myself a disservice.

The Guy said...

You're right. Now is the time of reflection. It leads to better decisions.