Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Queue
I'm confident after finishing Berlin Game & Mexico Set that after London Match I'll want to continue on with at least the second & most probably the third of the Bernard Samson trilogy of trilogies, & the prequel Winter: A Novel of a Berlin Family, 1899-1945. I am terribly pleased that Horse Under Water has proved the outlier among Deighton's novels. With such a touch of certainty added to my itinerary, methinks this is the perfect time for a little bit of "housekeeping," specifically getting to such oft-delayed books as Pretty in Ink, a break from the espionage genre, & Kim, a return to spy fiction, albeit in a 19th rather than 20th century context, & my first foray into Kipling's prose. A Man Called INTREPID is another jaunt into the non-fiction side of the spy genre; library books have a charming way of jumping the queue.

Recently
Christopher Andrew, Defend the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5
Len Deighton, Berlin Game
Len Deighton, Mexico Set

Currently
Len Deighton, London Match

Presently
William Stevenson, A Man Called INTREPID: The Secret War
Karen E. Olson, Pretty in Ink
Rudyard Kipling, Kim

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Barenaked Ladies, "Some Fantastic" from Stunt (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"Someday I will find the secret
To your social chemistry.
Then I'll print it on a T-shirt
And it'll make you want to be with me.
And if I wear it past your work
You'll see other guys are jerks."

2 comments:

brenda cox giguere said...

Your queues are always of interest. I myself am currently halfway through KIM, also my first real reading of Kipling.

Mike Wilson said...

Thanks for the interest, Dreamer. Kim, eh? Great minds think alike. I'm persnickety: Kim will be my first prose Kipling, I've reads loads of Kipling's poetry.