Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Stars My Destination
After all the delays & cost overruns, not to do everything reasonable & even a few things that are slightly unreasonable to keep the International Space Station in orbit as long as is feasible would be both a colossal waste of scarce resources & an unforgivable lack of foresight. So, by all means, yes, let's use the I.S.S. as a launchpad for missions beyond low Earth orbit: Starbaselink. Though our charlatan president's smoke-and-mirrors plan to end American manned spaceflight will have quite the opposite effect, delaying perhaps by decades the manned exploration of outer space beyond the orbit of our Moon: Shuttlecraftlink.

Project MERCATOR
The monthly Economics Club dinner was held this evening, though at the last minutes I found out through secondhand sources that The Most Dangerous Game, the Club's president, could not attend. Whatever is the point of holding the dinner when the president, the driving force behind the group, cannot attend? Why didn't she let me know she had to work, she knew the date, & we would happily have switched to a different date to accommodate her work schedule. Exasperating girl! Of course, as The Most Dangerous Game's schedule is increasingly dominated by her non-school work, more & more responsibility for the Club's welfare falls on the shoulders of the hapless vice president, yours truly. I had no particular desire to be the V.P., I only took the job because there were precious few other candidates. Last year, The Most Dangerous Game ran the Econ. Club as the vice president, with The Cowgirl happy to be little more than a figurehead president, but that's not the way it was supposed to be this year, with The Game's de jure responsibilities finally matching her de facto power. *grumble grumble*

My complaint is encapsulated in the misdirected frustration voiced by Dante Hicks in the motion picture Clerks, "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

This Week in Motorsport
I'll never have time to watch this year's running of the Petit Le Mans in one go; so, unsatisfying as this may be, I've decided to watch the race in chunks, an hour a night before I hit to hay. Tonight was the first night and, holy smoke, I love endurance racing! This might be even better than splurging on one magnificent day of sports car racing, because this way I get to experience that thrill over & over again. Woot!

No comments: