Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Queue

I enjoy The Adventures of Tintin. In Hergé's place, I'd have made many different creative choices, but of what artistic work can that not be said? Were I George Lucas—before he sold his soul to the House of Mouse—I'd have done some things differently in A New Hope. Of course, I'd never have created Star Wars in the first place, nor the adventures of Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus, Thomson & Thompson, Signora Castafiore, & the whole gang, so the point is quite moot. I recommend The Adventures of Tintin to anyone looking for good adventures yarns, light & easy to digest; they make excellent summer reading.

Now back to the "apostolic exhortation" with which I've so struggled. My goal is to finish Evangelii Gaudium by my birthday, when I anticipate receiving as a gift Laudato si', His Holiness's second encyclical.

Recently
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 5 (contains Land of Black Gold, Destination Moon, & Explorers on the Moon)
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 1 (contains Tintin in America, Cigars of the Pharaoh, & The Blue Lotus)
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 2 (contains The Broken Ear, The Black Island, & King Ottokar's Spectre)
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 3 (contains The Crab with the Golden Claws, The Shooting Star, & The Secret of the Unicorn)
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 4 (contains Red Rackham's Treasure, The Seven Crystal Balls, & Prisoners of the Sun)
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 6 (contains The Calculus Affair, The Red Sea Sharks, & Tintin in Tibet)
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin, Volume 7 (contains The Castafiore Emerald, Flight 714 to Sydney, & Tintin and the Picaros)

Currently
Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel)

Presently
Pope Francis, The Church of Mercy: A Vision for the Church
Rice Broocks, God's Not Dead: Evidence for God in an Age of Uncertainty
Richard Price, Clockers
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, "Sinbad the Sailor" from The Arabian Nights
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Norman Davies, Vanished Kingdoms: The Rise and Fall of States and Nations

Project GLOWWORM | Kith & Kin
This afternoon, I had the odd experience of cutting my father's hair. My father is s slovenly bloke, getting a haircut only every three of four months & only then when badgered by my mother before some of other social event. Such an event is coming up this weekend. When my father ventured out of doors this afternoon, he discovered hsi barber on vacation this week; so, he turned to me & my nearly eighteen years' experience with cutting my own hair with electric clippers. I showed him the various-length attachments available & recommended № 4, the longest length, but he selected № 2. Afterward, he opined that he should perhaps have selected № 3, but I consoled him that his hair will grow back to a more preferable length.

And then I found five dollars.

No comments: