Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day

Mark Ronson featuring the Daptone Horns, "God Put a Smile On Your Face" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The Wikipedia informs me that "God Put a Smile On Your Face" is a cover of a Coldplay song. I had no idea. I've heard little of Coldplay's music, but what I have heard is utter dreck. The Ronson/Daptones version must be superior.

Montag, 1 Juni
John Williams, "Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I listened to a lot of music yesterday, but none of it was satisfying, 'til "Journey to the Island." I like everything else I heard, but none of it was right for that particular moment.

Autobahn | Liberty & Union
This afternoon, I espied a blue Saturn Sky sporting the vanity license plate BLEUSKY. Misreading BLEUSKY as a name, "Bleusky," I immediately thought of fictional fratboy John "Bluto" Blutarsky, played by John Belushi in Animal House. Only then did it dawn on me, "Mike, it's a blue Sky; BLEUSKY, bleu Sky.

Last week, I found the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile in the drive-thru lane at McDonald's. Ahead of her was a Fisker Karma. I found this a poignant commentary on the essential egalitarianism of American life, which endures despite the recent ongoing tizzy about "growing inequality." Whether you drive a creaky, leaking twenty-year-old rust bucket (the Lumi) or a gleaming luxury plug-in hybrid with solar panels in the roof (the Karma), we all meet at the McDonald's drive-thru. God bless America.

No comments: