Friday, July 24, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day

Fountains of Wayne, "Brights Future in Sales" from Welcome Interstate Managers (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary: My future lies in sales, so I certainly hope 'tis a bright future.
"As long as I don't have to drive—

I'm gonna get my shit together,
'Cause I can't live like this forever,
You know I've come too far and I don't want to fail,
I got a new computer and a bright future in sales!
Yeah yeah (yeah yeah),
Bright future in sales!
Yeah yeah (yeah yeah),
Bright future in sales!
Yeah yeah (yeah yeah),
Bright future in sales!
Yeah yeah (yeah yeah) yeah yeah!

"I had a line on a brand-new account,
But now I can't seem to find where I wrote that number down…"
Donnerstag, 23 Juli
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Graffiti Worth Reading" from Pin Points and Gin Joints (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary: One need not be excessively cynical to read "Graffiti Worth Reading" as applying to all our ultimately futile media of self-expression, not just graffiti. This song, this blog, graffito: aside from the violation of property rights inherent in graffiti, is there any essential difference 'twixt those forms?
"Graffiti worth reading rarely is written on walls that are worth writing on,
So if that is true then believe me, now, you, worth reading graffiti is gone,
While we're on it, get off it, the days of the prophet writing his words on the wall
Have gone now behind us, but somehow we find ourselves desperately reading it all.

"Repent! (Repent!) Obey! (Obey!) The end is near!
I tagged and marked and bragged and barked that I was here!…"

No comments: