Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day

Tennessee Ernie Ford, "Sixteen Tons" via iTunes (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary: I owe my fondness of "Sixteen Tons" almost exclusively to the motion picture Joe versus the Volcano, though of course Tennessee Ernie Ford's gold-standard rendition is not featured in the film. It's the old standard all the same.
"If you see me comin', better step aside,
A lot of men didn't, a lot of men died,
One fist of iron, the other of steel,
If the right one don't get ya, then the left one will!…"
Dienstag, 28 Juli
Cherry Poppin' Daddies, "Zoot Suit Riot" via iTunes (Alpha Charlie)

Commentary: Yesterday, we, the Honor Guard of Monsignor Patrick R. Dunigan Assembly 510 of the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, conducted a memorial service for the wife of a brother Sir Knight. She also happened to be the matriarch of my old chum Danny Boy's family, whom I've known since I was a toddler. We were there in our uniform tuxedos, which one of the brothers, Alpha Charlie, quipped are our "zoot suits." Not much of a leap, then, to "Zoot Suit Riot," which I referenced on-site, especially since Alpha Charlie is, like your humble narrator, a fan of ska. (The '90s swing revival is of a piece with Third Wave ska's moment in the sun, though they are two distinct genres.)

No comments: