Thursday, September 17, 2015

Project BLACK MAMBA

Today is the optional memorial of Saint Robert Bellarmine, Bishop & Doctor of the Church, S.J. (1542-1621): Saint-link ūnus, Saint-link duo, & Wikipedia-link.

Commentary: Quoth the bulletin:
This outstanding scholar & devoted servant of God defended the Apostolic See against the anti-clericals in venice & against the political tenets of James I of England. He composed an exhaustive apologetic work against the prevailing heretics of his day. In the field of church-state relations, now regarded as [fundamental,] democratic authority originates with God, but is vested in the people, who entrust it to fit rulers.
Scripture of the Day
Personal Reading
The Letter to the Ephesians, chapter six (of six);
Introduction to the Letter to the Colossians.

Commentary: If I stay on schedule, by Monday I will have within the last year & a half read all of the New Testament (Acts twice) except the Book of Revelation. I am currently organizing a Bible study covering Revelation, so for my personal reading after Colossians I think I will circle back & re-read the Gospels, starting with Mark.

Chapter six of Ephesians is noted for the "armor of God" metaphor, but 'twas the verses immediately following that most caught my eye:
18 With all prayer & supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit. To that end, be watchful with all perseverance & supplication for all the holy ones 19 & also for me, that speech may be given me to open my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, so that I may have the courage to speak as I must.
Mass Readings
The First Letter to Timothy, chapter four, verses twelve thru sixteen;
Psalm One Hundred Eleven, verses seven thru ten;
The Gospel according to Luke, chapter seven, verses thirty-six thru fifty;
or, for the Memorial,
The Book of Wisdom, chapter seven, verses seven thru ten, fifteen & sixteen;
Psalm Nineteen, verses eight thru eleven;,
The Second Letter to Timothy, chapter & verse unknown;
The Gospel according to Matthew, chapter seven, verses twenty-one thru twenty-nine.

Commentary: I woke up early today & drove out to Flushing (to the northwest of Flint, whereas Grand Blanc sits to the southeast) to attend morning Mass at St. Robert Bellarmine Parish. I write this not to boast, but to share with you how wonderful 'tis to start the day with Mass, in the Real Presence of the Lord; I cannot encourage daily Mass attendance strongly enough. Because today is the solemnity of the parish's patron, this morning's Mass went the whole nine yards, including a second reading (no mention of which was available in the Missal where the alternate Memorial readings were listed), the Gloria, & the Creed, pieces of the Mass normally reserved for the full Sunday extravaganza. My experience at St. Pius X Parish on the feast day of Pope St. Pius X (21 August) was underwhelming, but I could scarcely be more satisfied about this morning's sojourn to St. Robert Bellarmine. Keep up the good work, Father Gordon!

No comments: