Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Undiscovered Country

Today, for the second time in three weeks, I served as a pallbearer. Twenty-one days ago precisely, I carried the casket of my dear friend Chris. This morning & this afternoon, I carried the casket of a priest & brother Sir Knight I had never had the privilege to meet. Though Chris was only forty-one years old, I will not say that he was taken too soon, because if he had completed the circuit on Earth to which the LORD in His infinite wisdom had appointed him, who am I to protest that this was "too soon"? Monsignor, by way of contrast, was in his nineties, having been a priest for seventy-one years; a goodly span by any accounting. I have felt tremendously honored to serve on both occasions, for reasons both personal & corporate. Both of the departed were brother Knights of Columbus, & to join the Knights is to join something larger than oneself.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, & let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace.

No comments: