Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Irish Song o' the Day


Mu330, "Ireland" (live) from Oh Yeah! (The Last Angry Irishman)

Commentary: Growing up, I didn't think much about the Troubles, about the "low-level war" 'twixt republican & unionist terrorists. ("But, wait," you say, "shouldn't they be called paramilitaries?" Paramilitary in structure, perhaps, but terrorist in tactics & intent, I reply.) The war in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, & Great Britain was simply a fact of life, like the sky being up or water being wet. Though there are still sporadic terrorist attacks, the peace that has reigned since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement nearly twenty years ago means there is simply no comparison betwixt the current state of play & the relentless violence of the Troubles. Long may it be so!
"My heart was strong, but I was wrong,
To think that I could save her,
Her head was mixed in politics,
And I fell out of favor.
There was no trial, no mercy mild,
And now I am forever exiled.

"Ireland's at war with herself,
Ireland's at war with herself,
Hopeless 'cause I couldn't help when
Ireland's at war with herself…"

No comments: