Friday, March 24, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Irish Song o' the Day


The Pogues, "The Broad Majestic Shannon" from The Best of the Pogues (The Last Angry Irishman)

Commentary:
"…I sat for a while by the gap in the wall,
Found a rusty tin can and an old hurley ball,
Heard the cards being dealt and the rosary called
And a fiddle played 'Sean dun na Ngall.'
And the next time I see you, we're down at the Greeks,
There'll be whiskey on Sunday and tears on our cheeks,
For it's stupid to laugh and it's useless to bawl
'Bout a rusty tin can and an old hurley ball.

"Take my hand and dry your tears, Babe,
Take my hand, forget your fears, Babe,
There's no pain, there's no more sorrow,
They're all gone, gone in the years, Babe.

"So I walked as day was dawning,
While small birds sang and leaves were falling
Where we once watched the rowboats landing
By the broad, majestic Shannon."

No comments: