Thursday, July 2, 2020

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' America o' the Day


Golem, "Citizen Boris" from Citizen Boris (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary: I fear we have lost sight of two important truths: One, we are blessed to be Americans; yes, our nation is deeply flawed, but so is each one of us, & throwing up our hands & denouncing the whole mess as irredeemable isn't helpful. Two, how much our forebears sacrificed to come to this country, in some cases while it was still a collection of British colonies, & how much today's immigrants are sacrificing to build a better life here for their children & their children's children. I still believe in the American dream, not the crass commercial dream of a sterile McMansion with two Teslas in the driveway, but the immigrant's dream of a new land, a new life where a man's destiny is not dictated by the circumstances of his birth. I was born an American. My parents were born Americans. My paternal grandfather & both maternal grandparents were born Americans; true, my paternal grandmother was born in British India, but even her father was a native-born American living as an expatriate. I do not know what it is like to be an emigrant nor an immigrant. But I acknowledge with humble gratitude that this life I am so blessed to lead is a gift not only from the Lord God but also from my forefathers who emigrated from their homelands & immigrated to this New World.
"…Goodbye, my old passport,
I now renounce you…"

No comments: