Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Yep, Brad's thing last night was about as bad as I'd thought it would be. Not terrible, but I had to listen to his moron friend Joe's opinions on pop culture. Joe's a nice enough guy, and he's funny, but he has all the wrong ideas. Seriously, he loves crap and denigrates quality. Movies, tellie, music, it doesn't matter what. Joe's got an opinion and it's one hundred eighty degrees wrong. But, I've suffered through worse. Then, out of the blue, the Mountain showed up. I guess Brad had mentioned it when David was over on Sunday night. I love seeing David, but it threw me for a complete loop. Not only was it unexpected, but it invoked the hated mixing of friends (for those of you who knew me in high school, I haven't made any progress on this one, nor do I want to) and involving David in an overall unfortunate situation. Honestly, I'd really rather not have David subjected to people acting like idiots on their birthdays. Despite attending the twenty-first birthday "celebrations" of many associates, and some beloved friends, I still think it's fucking stupid to waste your birthday drinking for the amusement of others.

45 Things She Wishes You Knew
Monday's...
22. If I slept over, you owe me breakfast.
If she slept over as in sleeping together, yes. If she just crashed on the couch after a fun night of platonic revelry, no. Now, breakfast would still be a nice thing to offer, and of course there's always the fun time of going out to breakfast, either as a pair or a group, after a late night of fun and frolicking.

Today's...
23. If you ask me out directly, I will say yes.
Bullshit. A month after meeting her, I asked Lindsay out. I said, "Do you want to go out this weekend?" Not "Do you want to hang out?" or "Do you want to do something?," but "Do you want to go out?" That's a date folks, yet when she showed up, she pretended that the whole deal was just two friends hanging out. Bullshit.

21. You should never tell me what to do. cont'd
True. A loving relationship is based upon mutual respect, not dominance. Requests and suggestions are fine, orders are not. Now, there are of course exceptions. After a night of drinking, when I'm sober and everyone else is drunk, it is perfectly fine for me to tell you to not walk in the middle of the road. And sometimes people just have to trust each other, like I have to give you specific orders to follow and I just don't have time to explain right now, but please trust me and I promise I'll tell you everything once this is all over. That's fine, too, as long as it's a legitimate emergency, not standard procedure. A specific complication is that Lindsay does not take unsolicited help well. Some people can't wait for others to offer to help, she hates that. The why is her private business, but we've talked about it and it's something she's working on.

No comments: