Thursday, March 24, 2005

Hopeless Savages: B-Sides - The Origin of the Dusted Bunnies came out yesterday! And it was only one week behind schedule! Hurrah! "Oni Press - Because schedules are for the unimaginative." As I've said before, I like superhero comics, but I live for Blue Monday. And Hopeless Savages is the only other book in Blue Monday's league.

{The Dusted Bunnies}
Zero* - vox, guitar
Emma - guitar
Tobey - bass
Flora - drums

*Skank Zero Hopeless-Savage, the youngest of the four Hopeless-Savage children.

Dirk Hopeless (b. David Sterling)
Nikki Savage
Rat Bastard Hopeless-Savage
Arsenal Fierce Hopeless-Savage
Twitch Strummer Hopeless-Savage
Skank Zero Hopeless-Savage

The Perfect Lesbian
I think I'm going to expand King of Prussia from seven to eight members; so, Rose will only be co-lead vocals, not co-lead vocals and Moog. Halfway there:

Parker - vox, bass
Rose - vox
Reza - trumpet
Petra - drums

I remembered that I liked the name Petra for King of Prussia's drummer. I remembered Petra, but had forgotten the drummer part; so, I named Parker and Mary's mom Petra, and thus the title of King of Prussia's first album, Songs For Petra. But I like Petra best for the drummer chick, the girl to whom Parker lost his virginity. I'll have to come up with a new name for Mrs. Peppard. Speaking of which, I should probably come up with a name for Mr. Peppard, too.... The new tentative title for the first album is Radio Free Prussia.** In addition, the "farewell" EP is no longer titled Peace On Earth, Purity Of Essence. P.O.E. is a great reference to Dr. Strangelove, but I'm just not comfortable using such a direct pop culture reference as an album title. The Mountain and I hate it when bands use a single song as the title of an entire album. It is an inexcusable waste of the opportunity to come up with a unique and interesting name. I feel the same way about P.O.E., P.O.E. It's a great phrase, but just lifting it seems like taking the easy way out. The farewell EP's new tentative title is The Intermission EP... or maybe Let's All Go to the Lobby. Hmmmmm.

Radio Free Prussia (1998)
Hohenzollern (2001)
The Intermission EP (2002)
American Volunteer Group (2006, the return album)

**Radio Free Prussia is not just a reference to the Cold War radio service Radio Free Europe (we broadcast news and information into the Eastern Bloc, hoping to shed some light on Communism's lies). I have titled two (or four) Newsletter columns "Radio Free Wilson," the original three-part "Radio Free Wilson" from the fall of 2001 (my second, third, and fourth Newsletter columns) and the belated sequel "Radio Free Wilson '04" from the fall of 2004. (I intend to make it a recurring column, with "Radio Free Wilson '05" planned for later this year and so on.)

Also, I complied ten mixtape CDs for Never Girl when she moved to California, five of ska songs, five of punk, and titled them Radio Free Wilson. When I presented them, there were three of us at the table, Never Girl, SSG, and me. Never Girl seemed touched. I got up to go to the bathroom and she followed, intercepting me out of sight of SSG. She thanked me again and then kissed me. I'd wanted to kiss her for a year and half; I wanted nothing more in the world than to taste her lips. And here she was, kissing me. It was one of the worst moments of my life. Dear Bog, I wish she hadn't done that. I was already a mess beforehand. That kiss wrecked me.

I want King of Prussia to sound like a mix of Dance Hall Crashers and The Hippos.

The New and Improved Crucifixion
I made goulash tonight. Yummy, though mine never tastes as good as Mom's. Odd, that. And not fearing arrest at the hands of the Romans, I didn't even need to use a secret sign to be admitted to dinner. Woot! I hope I can make it to Mass tomorrow, the most... bizarrely named of all Christian religious holidays. The day they killed God is called Good Friday. I mean, yeah, it's good for us, that's why he died, but still. It seems a little insensitive. The day they put nails through Christ's hands is Good Friday. Why not Holy Friday? Too generic? Didn't want to have another "holy" right after Holy Thursday?

If nothing else, the name Good Friday is proof that God knows how to take a joke.

No comments: