Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ricky Fitness
I really like our weekday routine of watching Around the Horn, Pardon the Interruption, and Seinfeld while we exercise, but early in the afternoon on the weekends is typically a televisual wasteland; not so today, G4 is airing a Ninja Warrior (original title: Sasuke) marathon! Sure, sure, I'll never be able to complete even the first stage obstacles, but unlike the demigods in professional sports the competitors on Ninja Warrior, the legitimate competitors, are mostly working class Japanese, average folks (except for their exceptional physiques). It's a heck on an incentive. I'll never play a single shift in an NHL game, but if I get serious about my diet (cutting out the Dr. Pepper) and workout like a man possessed, maybe one day I too could meet defeat in the murky waters of Midoriyama after failing to complete a crazy Japanese obstacle course.

I've been invoking Giles Corey this week: "more weight." The Mountain helpfully reminded me that Corey died from the ever-increasing weight of stones, but I invoked the "somebody Corollary to the Giles Corey Protocol," but now I cannot recall for the life of me after whom I named the corollary. No clue at all. It's a shame, too, because I remember thinking it was quite clever of me. Probably too clever by half, given that I was so busy being impressed by myself to even remember the fruit of my supposed brilliance. Anyway, more weight on both upper body exercises this week and no problems thus far; so, unless an unexpected setup crops up, Giles Corey should continue to be the rule of the day well into next week, adding ever more weight.

I meant to post some items yesterday, but internet access was erratic and I really didn't need the aggrivation.

Believe: Game 4, Anaheim 5-3 Detroit
Curses and several more unbecoming expletives! I remain confident in the Red Wings; sure, we lost Game 4, but both earlier series were tied at two games apiece before the Wing asserted themselves to triumphed in six. "We" lose, but "the Red Wings" win, and I believe the Red Wings will win. I may even go to a Texas sports bar *shudder* to watch Game 6. Let's go Wings! Victory!

Misery Misery Misery
BTW South's air conditioning in on the fritz. Still, even amidst this misfortune some luck is yet with us. The first two weeks in May I thought I was living in the worst state in the Union, Florida. (Texas is a close second.) Daytime highs in the mid 80s F, overnight "lows" in the mid 70s, and rain, rain, rain very nearly every day. Hot and muggy plus rainy equals a very ticked off Last Angry Man. This week, temperatures have been more mild and, significantly, the air has been much drier. I'm supremely annoyed at the sudden breakdown of the A/C, but in all fairness it could have come at a far worse time. Still, misery misery misery, BTW South is no longer the sanctuary it should be.

No comments: