Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Not much afoot tonight, kids. I have decided for the nonce to shed my virile, twenty-nine-years-old-is-wicked-young mindset for a stodgier persona: today was a long day - not a bad day, just a long day - and I've got a very early morning ahead. However, I can promise you brighter days are ahead. Tomorrow will see the next episode of "The Explorers Club" and Sunday will bring the dawn of the too-long-delayed final round of America's favorite quiz sensation, "Who Used To Own It?" Scout's honor. Technically, I was never a Boy Scout, I quit while still a Webelo, but I will operate on the perhaps reckless assumption that I have not fallen so far in your collective estimation that my word, Scout's honor or no, carries no weight.

And if I have fallen that far in your estimation, please work up the gumption to tell me. I have a great many personal relationships to mend and frankness must be the order of the day. The first step toward solving a problem is achieving awareness of its existence.

And on that cheery note, hey, how about a little "somebody"-themed paranoia?

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Ramones, "Somebody Put Something In My Drink" from Mania (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I was going to proffer a ham-fisted parable about the ability of Joey Ramone, a dyed in the wool Democrat, and Johnny Ramone, a die-hard Republican, may they both rest in peace, to coexist and produce musical genius despite their political differences, but then I remembered who I am. Me? I live for the verbal knife-fighting. Walk into a room covered in bruises and nursing a black eye and greet the gasps of horror with a toothless, predatory grin from ear to ear, "You should see the other guy."

The hurly-burly, the low-down dirty dealing and underhanded mudslinging, is the lifeblood of our glorious democracy. The war of ideas provides the vitality of this Great Republic. Beware the snake oil of "consensus;" tumult and rancor, always in the spirit of mutual patriotism walking arm-in-arm with mutual loathing, is how the best decisions have always been made. It seldom pretty and more rarely pleasant, but it is the grandest adventure in governance in the history of the world. Sharpen your wit to a razor, make a fist augmented with a roll of quarters, and when you've summoned up the blood, let's dance.

Vote for Kodos!

No comments: