Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Autobahn
I was waylaid on Saturday by a flat tire, a complete deflation of the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile's left (driver's side) rear tire. The day was saved by my actions on the date I purchased the Lumi's current set of tires, back in October of '10, when I purchased extended warranties on the then-new Michelins. Way to go, Past Mike! I limped the Lumi to the tire merchant, who replaced the deflated, guaranteed-for-80,000-miles tire with a new guaranteed-for-90,000-miles tire. The old one had far fewer than 80,000 miles on its treads, leaving my cautiously hopeful that the failure was random. not something more systematic that might affect its three remaining batch mates.

I saw my first Cadillac ATS in the wild on Sunday. It looked even better than it had in captivity at the Detroit auto show. "It's the Cadillac of automobiles!"

Also on Sunday, I was nearly run off the road. I'd exited I-475 at Hill Road. At the end of the exit there are three lanes: one for turning right onto westbound Hill, one for turning left onto eastbound Hill, & a middle lane for turning either left or right. Wishing to turn left & spying a line in the left-most lane & no motorcars in the middle lane, I opted for the middle lane. It is possible for two car to turn left at the same time because there are two eastbound lanes on Hill Road. The vehicle in the middle lane turns into the outer lane & the vehicle in the left lane turns into the inner lane. It's just that easy! I dutifully stayed in my lane, but the girl driving the red sedan in the left-most lane kept drifting further & further into my lane, to the point that I had to slam on the brakes & throw the Lumi almost onto the curb to avoid a collision. That jerk! Her turn ended squarely in the outer eastbound lane; if I'd been an other couple of feet forward alongside her avoiding the collision would have been impossible. Furious at the cavalier manner in which my life & my property had been endangered, I leaned on my horn. She didn't so much as glance in her rear view mirror. I activated the lefthand turn signal, checked my mirrors & blind spot, changed lanes, accelerated, & pulled alongside she who is he living embodiment of every awful, unfair stereotype of distaff pilots. Again, I laid on the Lumi's horn. She finally looked over & I gave her an exasperated look & am exaggerated wave of my driving-gloved hand. Her expression betrayed not the slighted hint of recognition of why I was angry with her. I suspect she'd never before seen my vehicle, had not even bothered to check her mirrors before executing the turn from the freeway exit to Hill, & never knew she'd almost collided her motorcar with the Lumi. I will never fathom how anyone can drive so irresponsibly. Pray pardon the forthcoming language—that cunt!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril
Suburban Legends, "Do It for the Kids" from Rump Shaker (T.L.A.M.)

Comentary: Unlike most ska bands, which I know through my fellow Blue Tree Whackers, either through their recommendation or through joint discovery, I know Suburban Legends through my association with The Loose Ties. The Loose Ties play a couple Mighty Mighty Bosstones covers & a Reel Big Fish cover, but they seem to have no appreciation for Less Than Jake, the next biggest ska band from the "third wave" era. Ignorant heathens!

"We are your mom and papa's nightmare,
We dance for you to wash away your cares,
Crackin' smiles even when we're sad,
That's just the way it goes in a ska band!"

Welcome to the back half of this third R.B.D.S.O.T.D. celebration of SKApril. Man alive, where does the time go?

No comments: