Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Explorers' Club
№ CCCXXXVIII - Ecurie Ecosse ("Team Scotland"), the little team that casts a disproportionately long shadow.







The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day: SKApril
Prince Buster, "Al Capone" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Horns by The Skatalites.

Montag, 29 April
Mad Caddies, "Popcorn" from Duck and Cover (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: A self-affirming counterpoint to L.T.J.'s self-effacing "The Science of Selling Yourself Short."

"Believe I've got another chance
To say, 'I'm gonna make it today,'
To say, 'I'm gonna make it today.'"


Sonntag, 28 April
Mu330, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas" from Winter Wonderland (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I know 'tis SKApril, not SKAcember, but ska bands are a heathen lot, or at least secular, & I was very much digging the selection of sacred ska songs on Sundays. Mu330 are not a particularly pious, but there's no avoiding the Almighty during the Christmastide, even with as secular an album title as Winter Wonderland. Lyrics by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

"And in despair I bowed my head,
'There is no peace on Earth!' I said,
'For hate is strong and mocks with song
Of peace on Earth, good will to men.'

"Then peeled the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead nor doth he sleep,
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on Earth, good will to men."

No comments: