Friday, April 12, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril
Reel Big Fish, "She Has a Girlfriend Now" (live) from Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album, Disc 2: Move Fastly with the Fast Music (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "She Has a Girlfriend Now" is a heck of a song, & the Reel Big Fish perform it well, with Rachel Minton of Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer singing the distaff part sung by Monique Powell of Save Ferris on the original studio album, Turn the Radio Off. Fond as I am of "She Has a Girlfriend Now," though, the real reason for its selection as the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. is the hilarity of the lead-in banter on the live album, separated into its own track, "The '90s." I saw a pager today & it recalled to mind the following exchange 'twixt Aaron Barrett & Scott Klopfenstein:

Aaron: "I wrote this song in the '90s."
Scott: "You did, actually."
Aaron: "'Cause I was in a '90s kinda mood. Yeah."
Scott: "I was there. It happened."
Aaron: "Remember that?"
Scott: "I do."
Aaron: "The '90s. Those were different times, ladies and gentlemen."
Scott: "Those were totally different times, ladies and gentlemen."
Aaron: "Hard, hard times."
Scott: "Not everybody had a cell 'phone, we had these little things called pagers."

How does that lead into "She Has a Girlfriend Now"? They continue:

Scott: "…these little things called pagers."
Aaron: "And it seemed like every other week a girl was leaving me for another girl."
Scott: "It's true. He'd always get a page."
Aaron: "Now that's kind of hot. That's kind of hot, but, you know, where does it leave me? Where do I fit in?"
Scott: "I—"
Aaron: "I mean, I can imagine where I'd fit in, but, you know."

No comments: