Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day: SKApril
The Hippos, "Something" from Heads Are Gonna Roll (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: For whatever reason, whenever The Hippos provision the Song of the Day it almost invariably comes from their debut album, Forget the World, which is odd given that the follow-up album, Heads Are Gonna Roll, is totally boss.

"…I have my dreams, you know I have my dreams,
Sometimes I regret I forgot all my dreams.

"But I'm somethin', yeah, I'm somethin',
You think you know me but you don't know nothin',
I've done it all, yeah, I've done it all,
I'm just waiting for the right 'phone call."


Freitag, 19 April
Rude City Riot, "Victoria" from the Rude City Riot E.P. (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: One of my favorite aspects of SKApril is its incentives to reignite the search for new ska bands. Rude City Riot is the fruit of one of those SKApril plumbings of the depths for unknown & interesting ska. Ska is not, despite most ska fans' smugly ironic claims, dead.

No comments: