Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Operation AXIOM | Urbi et Orbi | Project MERCATOR
One year ago today, 17 April 2012, I was exemplified into the First Degree of the Knights of Columbus. The principle of the First Degree is Charity, & in the year since the exemplification I have performed more hours of volunteer service than in any other year of my life; I mention this for His glory, not my own. I've precious little treasure at my disposal, but have dedicated both my time & my talent to the charitable service of my fellow man. I joined the Knights because I felt called to do more than sit in a pew on Sunday, to take a more active role in His Church than ever before. I've wasted too much of my life drowning out His Voice with a thousand & one distractions. I still & forevermore will struggle with temptation & wickedness, but at least now I am making the sincere effort to sublimate my petty wants & needs to be a better instrument of His Will. In the year since I have been exemplified into the Second Degree (principle: Unity), the Third Degree (Fraternity), & less than a fortnight hence, the Fourth Degree (Patriotism), the highest degree of the Order. I am a Sir Knight. I took the oath as a Catholic gentleman. One year ago to-day.



Yes, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is a significant rhetorical influence. "Ask yourself, Why do you seek the Cup of Christ? Is it for His glory, or for yours?"

Project GLOWWORM
Have I mentioned how much I hate white socks? No? Well, I really hate white socks. I wish I didn't own any & am using attrition to weed them out of my sock collection. None of my cold-weather socks are white, being either black or colorfully patterned. The Occasion for this observationw as a glance at my sock drawer & the realization that warm-weather socks will soon be needed, meaning my white ankle socks, their numbers also dwindled through attrition & non-replacement. Anymore they're only needed for informal social & commercial circumstances, but they vex me still. I hate white socks, almost as much as I hate white shoes.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril
The Specials, "(Dawning of a) New Era" from The Specials (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I fail to understand why the song is titled "(Dawning of a) New Era." Parenthetical song titles have only ever made since to me if the title outside the parentheses can be used in isolation as the song title. Consider "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding," mostly famously performed by Elvis Costello. The song could plausibly be called "Peace, Love, and Understanding," & in fact I have a rendition of the song under that title in my music library, by the ska band Unsteady. But no one would conceivably call "(Dawning of a) New Era" "New Era." The absurdity of the idea becomes apparent as soon as one listens to "(Dawning of a) New Era." The song should simply be called "Dawning of a New Era."

No comments: