Monday, July 7, 2014

Perchance to Dream

I awoke from a nightmare this morning. I was one of a group of children being pursued through a skyscraper by heavily armed, masked terrorists in a lethal game of hide & seek. The windows cruelly offered false hope of escape, as on the roof was a telepathic sniper. Not just a sniper, as if that wouldn't be bad enough, but a sniper who could read your mind & knew where you were going as soon as you decided to go. Normally I am chagrinned by the end of my dreams, wishing to pursue them further, to see their tangled plots through to resolution. Not the case this time; in fact, I wish I remembered the nightmare far less vividly than I do.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Less Than Jake, "Great American Sharpshooter" from Hello Rockview (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Three points. First, the album should be titled Hello, Rockview. Second, "Great American Sharpshooter" doesn't seem to have anything to do with sharpshooting. To wit:

"Its for the better your better half's gone,
It's O.K., you didn't need her anyway,
And I don't want to hear you, 'Nobody can take her place,'
And what more can I say—you didn't need her anyway…"

Third,
Hello Rockview has the best liner notes of any album I know, hands down.



Sonntag, 6 Juli
John Philip Sousa, "Stars and Stripes Forever" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: