Thursday, July 3, 2014

Urbi et Orbi

Today is the feast day of Saint Thomas the Apostle (d. A.D. 72), forever remembered as "Doubting Thomas": saint-link.

Yesterday, 2 July, was the feast day of Saint Oliver Plunkett (A.D. 1625-1681): saint-link.

Tuesday, 1 July, was the feast day of Saint Junípero Serra (A.D. 1713-1784): saint-link.

Commentary: This is an experiment. It will run to the end of the month, after which I will make an analysis & decide if I wish to continue. I commit to the end of the month in emulation of the advice I always give young men who lament their inability to grow a moustache as magnificent as mine: One has to give oneself time. The worst mistake one can make is to become discouraged & give up too soon.

Project GLOWWORM
Today, a clerk complimented my moustache, which happens fairly regularly, & then said that it pales in comparison to my beard. I did a double take. No one ever compliments my beard! A kinsman is always agitating for me to shave the beard, yet keep the moustache. Holy smoke! I thanked him, saying to him how rare it is for the beard to receive any respect, adding that while it is the moustache that steals the show, it is the beard from which I get the mileage, i.e., that allows me to avoid the burden of shaving. Hey, cool, win one for the good guys.

No comments: