Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Queue

Alas, matters did not much improve as I plowed through 33 Days to Morning Glory. I pray the "Hail Mary" virtually every day & rely on the intercession of the Blessed Virgin, but I have even more questions about the nature of Marian consecration than I did when I began reading the book; I think this a fair standard by which to, with regret & respect, label Father Gaitley an ineffective communicator. Alas! If you're a Protestant who hates Catholics because you think we worship Mary, this is the book for you. I found myself raising my eyebrows in confusion or alarm far more often than I found myself nodding in agreement. More prayerful pondering is needed, because right now there are still more questions than answers.

Recently
Christopher Moore, Practical Demonkeeping: A Comedy of Horrors
Christopher Moore, The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror
Father Michael E. Gaitley, 33 Days to Morning Glory: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Marian Consecration

Currently
Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Presently
Timothy Keller, The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
Matthew Kelly, Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Swords of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Synthetic Men of Mars
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Llana of Gathol
Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars
Richard Price, Clockers
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, "Sinbad the Sailor" from The Arabian Nights

Lately Neglected
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme, & Power of a Common-wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civill
Edmund Burke, The Evils of Revolution
F. J. Sheed, Theology for Beginners

No comments: