Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Autobahn

I've been on the look-out for & have subsequently spotted a number of Pontiac G8s lately. The G8 was a rebadged, left-hand drive Holden Commodore (VE), imported from Australia. (The current Chevrolet SS is a rebadged, left-hand drive Commodore [VF], the latest model.) The other day, while riding shotgun with my father, I beheld not a G8, not an SS, but a Holden Commodore. I double-checked, but there it was, unmistakable for either the Pontiac "dart" or the Chevrolet "bowtie," the Holden lion, just as I'd so often seen on television during V8 Supercars races. Whenever I spot an Alaska license plate the formulaic thought goes through my head, "You're a long way from home, fella." Alaska is next door compared to Down Under. That Holden, resplendent in red, was a long way from home.

I espied a vanity license plate yesterday, MRSWANN. Should this be read "Mrs. Wann" or "Mr. Swann"? The flow of traffic & a willingness to exceed slightly the posted speed limit afforded me the chance to position the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile alongside MRSWANN & glimpse the driver: a man. Certainly, Mr. Wann cold have been driving Mrs. Wann's motorcar, but had the driver been a woman would have have entertained the equivalent doubt, that Mrs. Swann could have been driving Mr. Swann's motorcar? Methinks this highly unlikely. Mr. Swann it is!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Chris de Burgh, "The Lady In Red" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I had occasion yesterday to reference "The Lady In Red," regarding a photograph posted to the FaceSpace of the Blonde at Mr. & Mrs. Red Patton's wedding reception. Of course, was the red a reference to her scarlet dress or the sunburn on her face from the outdoor wedding earlier in the day?

"I've never seen you looking so lovely as you did tonight,
Never seen you shine so bright,
Never seen so many men ask you if you wanted to dance,
Looking for a little romance given half a chance,
I have never sen the dress you're wearing
On the highlights in your hair that catch your eyes,
I have been blind…"

No comments: