Thursday, October 2, 2003

Guy Zach Nie is watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. All of it, season by season. On a lark, and because of the highest recommendations by the Mountain of Love and I, he borrowed my first season DVD set. He was instantly hooked, and is now experiencing the season-by-season rise of DS9's glory. O, how I envy him! I am so very grateful to have seen all of DS9, to have lived the saga in real time from beginning to end, but I also envy Zach the opportunity to experience it all for the first time. Normally, it is a dangerous thing to give your material possessions to Zach Nie! There is a very real chance you shan't get them back, or at least no longer entirely whole. However, we have worked out an excellent system: the Mountain is holding one of his books, A Clockwork Orange, hostage. Zach, who is presently on the third season, does not get a new season until we have the old one back, and once he is finished and all the discs have been returned safely, he will get back his novel. The best part about all this is getting to explain pieces of Star Trek history to him; outside my beloved brother and me, no one in Blue Tree Whacking cares much for Star Trek. Yesterday, I got to explain a short history of my favorite villains, the Romulans. Goody gumdrops!

Plans are being made to record the second Real Can of Yams album, CODENAME: Koala, over Thanksgiving for a Christmas show release. More news to follow once there is more news. MTD had but one release, The Murky Transport Disaster Disaster Transport Transport Disaster, so following up RCY's debut, Good or Suck!, with Koala is technically a step into uncharted territory.
{BTW - Blue Tree Whacking}
{MTD - Murky Transport Disaster}
{RCY - Real Can of Yams}
Anything good can be expressed in three initials. {SPP - Space Pirates Project}

For the time being, the erstwhile Bald Mountain shall be called the Mountain of Love. Why? Because of a lovely young lass we shall call 17, who, if all goes well, will shortly be his girlfriend.

The SPP rolls on, though we are running into the same old problem: lack of participation. Of course, I have a uniquely huge amount of freetime; so, I shouldn't criticize the guys for simply having other more pressing concerns. Nevertheless, there has been a clear decrease in the old back and forth exchange of ideas. I am trying to rein in my own imagination, for I don't want to invent something (a race, a species, a storyline) and put a lot of time into developing it only to have it vetoed, but at the same time I cannot proceed with the approval of the others because they simply aren't there. More to the point, school has started for the Professor, my idea-generating counterpart. The Guy's specialty is improving established ideas sculpting them into a better, more usable form; K. Steeze has also taken a more critique-oriented position. That's all fine and good, truly, I just miss Jon.

No comments: