Thursday, October 30, 2003

Tonight, I asked Skeeter to marry me, but she opted to finish law school instead. This seemingly radical action on my part was prompted by my very favoritest episode of Seinfeld, during which George and Susan get engaged. The Costanza-Ross engagement was the funniest thing they ever did on the funniest show I've ever seen; everything about it makes me laugh out loud. Susan was so great and George was such a putz, and there was so very, very much scheming going on. Pure gold.

I watched two episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team this evening, since the Pistons preempted Enterprise, both parts of "The Shuddering Mountain." What people who have only seen Gundam Wing or who only have a cursory understanding of anime miss is how incredibly anti-war main continuity Gundam is. It's the old one-two punch: they reel you in with the awesome giant robots, then hit you with the ugly realities of war. People you care about die. Both sides are wrong. Nobody wins. And The 08th MS Team is perhaps the best example of this: amazing late '90s animation combined with a story that has lead some to call it the Platoon of Gundam.

Note to self: now that you've started it, finish your Christmas list!

Also, carve your stinking jack-o-lantern already!

No comments: