Saturday, December 6, 2003

I don't have to work again until Tuesday morning. I am so incredibly happy right now.

On my break today, I bought a new wallet. I did this not because I don't love my velcro Darth Maul wallet, but in defense of the aforementioned velcro Darth Maul wallet. I love my Darth Maul wallet; I bought it around 12:45 am on May 1, 1999 at the flagship F.A.O. Schwarz store in Manhatten. This was the first day Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace merchandise was available and I waited in line outside the store with my fellow zealots for the doors to open at midnight. It was an amazing experience. I cherish the Darth Maul wallet both as a memento of that glorious night, and a pretty darned swanky wallet. I will love it forever. It is because I want to be able to love it forever that I have decided to retire it from active service. The color has faded from Darth Maul and his signature double-bladed lightsaber and there are several small tears in the interior vinyl. I want this treasure to lat a lifetime; thus, it has to be taken out of my back pocket. The new wallet is analogous to Big Red, my backpack; no one is expected Big Red to surpass the Green Army Bag, nor has he, but by Jove, Big Red gets the job done. And yes, the new wallet also has a chain; so, I am still refusing to act my age.

No comments: