Tuesday, December 2, 2003

"If anybody needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome."

The Angry Dome? If anybody needs one of those, it is your humble narrator.

Mr. Pot Meets Mr. Kettle
K. Steeze is working on teleplays for episodes of the Space Pirates Project. I told him that I feel it is premature to be working on them and that my interest lies in plotting, rather than scripting, episodes and the general story arc of the first season. He has taken great offense to this and has quit the project. He said, "Why the fuck would I want to continue working on something when the leader won't even encourage me to help?" Huh.

I am absolutely anal about backstory. It could be said that I work best backwards, if I pick a point in time and then work to figure out how and why we got there. To do this, especially in a science fiction context, I need to know about the world in which the characters live. For the SPP, we had to invent that universe. From starships to political structures to what kind of pants these futuristic hypermen wear. While I was doing this, Steeze opined that I was wasting time, time better spent on writing stories. Yet, even though he told me I was wasting both our time, I continued in what I felt was the right direction. So, the moral of the story is that he can say he doesn't care about the work I'm doing, and that's fine, but if I say the same about his work, I'm a jerk. It must be nice to live in a world where you are free to be as hypocritical as you wish and still believe yourself blameless.

Must be really nice.

The Dark Bastard
The Professor sez, "Your blog has turned rather pessimistic lately." Do not worry, dear reader, I am fine. But, whereas through September and October I was home all day, making phone calls and sending out many resumes, going out and about to pick up and drop off applications maybe twice a week, now I have to wake up arse early, be on my feet all day, and come home to Fox News blaring loudly from the TV in the family room... even though my father is upstairs. I am not as gregarious because my time is more precious and my mood easier to sour. Perhaps I have been more pessimistic lately, but it is primarily because I am never happier than when I am doing nothing, and now I am rather busy.

Discography: Elvis Costello and the Attractions, This Year's Model

No comments: